50 migrants believed dead after they were found in a semi-truck in San Antonio, official says, with others hospitalized – CNN
A semitruck full of migrants was found in San Antonio on Monday. The death toll is believed to be 46, and includes migrants from Mexico, Guatemala and Honduras.
San Antonio police alerted the US Department of Homeland Security’s investigation unit to a human smuggling event, and 48 people died, including 12 adults and 4 children. Two people died at hospitals.
Patients were hot to the touch and suffering from heat stroke and exhaustion, Hood said. It’s not clear how long people inside the truck had been dead, the official said.
Biden said Tuesday that human traffickers are exploiting vulnerable individuals for profit and that his administration will do everything possible to stop them.
A truck went through a checkpoint north of Laredo, Texas, on Monday, and the US Rep. Henry Cuellar has spoken with Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas.
The fire chief said the firefighters are being put through a critical incident stress debriefing after seeing stacks of bodies in a trailer. The mayor called the case a “horrific human tragedy”.
Mexico’s consul general in San Antonio said assistance would be provided to Mexican nationals, and US officials are working to better handle the flow of migrants to the US-Mexico border.
Migrants have faced other tragedies and challenges trying to cross the US-Mexico border in recent years, including rescues from dangerous water crossings.
In 2003, 18 people were found dead in the back of a semitruck with about 100 other people as temperatures soared past 100 degrees. In 2021, another semitruck packed with 25 people collided with an SUV, killing 13 undocumented immigrants.
For more on this story, please consider these sources:
- 50 migrants believed dead after they were found in a semitruck in San Antonio, official says, with others hospitalized CNN
- Texas Gov. Abbott lashes out after 46 migrants found dead in tractor-trailer: ‘These deaths are on Biden’ Fox News
- 46 migrants have been found dead inside a semi-truck in San Antonio and 16 have been hospitalized, authorities say CNN
- ‘Stacks of bodies’: 50 people died in tractor-trailer found in San Antonio, Mexico officials say KSAT San Antonio
- 50 migrants found dead inside semitruck in southwest San Antonio, ICE says KENS5.com