A man shot and killed two police officers and wounded six others during a barricade situation in Allen, KY.
Officials said Lance Storz went on a shooting spree and barricaded himself in a home for hours. He was charged with murder, attempted murder, and assault on a service animal.
As of Friday morning, the investigation into the shooting on Main Street in Allen is still active. The sheriff and county attorney described the situation as an “attack on law officers” and an “am.”sh”.
Sheriff Hunt said one officer hid under a car for hours and suffered carbon monoxide poisoning. He said the police canine that was shot was inside of that car.
“At one time, the car he was under took a barrage of bullets. Shot the K-9 dog in the back seat,” Hunt said.
Floyd County Attorney Keith Bartley described it as a “war zone.”
With so many impacted from such a small, close-knit community, all of this is extremely difficult.
“I don’t know if there is any comfort for any at this time. Those people were not just police officers. I think that gets lost a lot of times in media across the country. You hear about something happening in another state. It’s not a police officer shot. Multiple police officers in this case. Human beings. People with children, spouses, moms and dads, their world will never be the same,” said Bartley.
The state criminal response team arrived at the scene at about 7:00 p.m. Thursday and booked Storz into jail at about 5:00 a.m. Friday.
For more on this story, please consider these sources:
- ‘They had no chance:’ Man accused of killing 2 officers, shooting 6 others in Floyd County WKYT
- Kentucky officers wounded in ‘deadly’ shooting; suspect in custody: law enforcement Fox News
- 2 police officers killed in Kentucky by suspect with rifle Yahoo! Voices
- Reports of an active shooter situation in Floyd County LEX 18 News – Lexington, KY
- Judge-Executive: Floyd Co. shooting was ‘never a hostage situation’ WVLT
- View Full Coverage on Google News