1 dead and 1 in custody after a shooting at an Arkansas hospital, officials say – NBC News
One person is dead and one person has been taken into custody in connection with a shooting at CHI St. Vincent North hospital in Sherwood.
Sherwood Police Department responded to a call from CHI St. Vincent North at approximately 10 a.m. CDT on Wednesday and entered, secured and cleared the area, where they found one victim deceased from at least one gunshot wound inside the hospital. They secured the area and placed the hospital on lockdown.
Sherwood police took a potential suspect into custody after receiving a tip. They have now publicly identified the victim and the suspect. Authorities identified the victim in the shooting as 21-year-old Leighton Whitfield, and the suspect as 24-year-old Raymond Lovett.
The shooter opened fire on the fourth floor of CHI St. Vincent hospital Wednesday morning, employees told KARK-TV in Little Rock. Employees, patients and patrons rushed to evacuate or barricade doors, as one witness recalled.
During a news conference, authorities identified the suspect as Raymond Lovett, 24, and said the victim was Leighton Whitfield.
The Little Rock Police Department said they had taken a potential suspect into custody at an Exxon station shortly after 11 a.m.
For additional information on the investigation of this hospital shooting, please consider the news outlets listed below to stay in the know.
- 1 dead and 1 in custody after a shooting at an Arkansas hospital, officials say NBC News
- Arkansas hospital ‘active shooter’ situation prompts large police, ATF response Fox News
- One person dead, another in custody following shooting at Arkansas hospital, police say CNN
- Police: One dead, person of interest in custody in shooting at CHI St. Vincent North in Sherwood KARK
- One Dead, Suspect In Custody After Arkansas Hospital Shooting NBC News
- View Full Coverage on Google News