Recent Dismal Polling Numbers Have Lead President Biden To Attack The Supreme Court. Specifically Using It As Political Call-Out. Today He Signed An Executive Order.
U.S. President Joe Biden signed an executive order on Friday to help protect access to services to terminate pregnancies after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v Wade.
Biden said the Supreme Court’s ruling was an exercise in raw political power, and the White House is not publicly entertaining the idea of reforming the court.
Biden said that women could secure abortion rights by voting for more pro-choice senators and that the Supreme Court majority opinion referred to women’s “political power.” He also said that women would turn out in record numbers in November’s election to restore women’s rights.
President Biden signed an executive order to ensure women’s access to abortion and contraception after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v Wade decision that legalized abortion. Progressive lawmakers and abortion rights groups welcomed the executive order.
In June, Biden proposed that senators remove a legislative roadblock by temporarily lifting the Senate “filibuster” to restore abortion rights. Aides to crucial Democratic senators shot down the suggestion.
Biden directed the Health and Human Services Department to protect and expand access to abortion medication, emergency medical care, family planning services, and contraception.
The Supreme Court’s ruling restored states’ ability to ban abortion, and women with unwanted pregnancies face the choice of traveling to another state where the procedure remains legal and available, buying abortion pills online, or having a potentially dangerous illegal abortion.
For more on this story, please consider these sources:
- Biden to sign executive order on abortion, contraception access Reuters
- WATCH: Biden delivers remarks on reproductive health care Washington Post
- President Biden to sign executive order to protect access to abortion CBS Mornings
- Chris Roemer: President Biden and the politics of expedience | COMMENTARY Baltimore Sun
- Opinion | ‘Fugitive Moms Acts’ in red states? Biden’s new move suggests yes. The Washington Post
- View Full Coverage on Google News