Bison gores Yellowstone visitor, tosses her 10 feet, park officials say – NBC News
An Ohio woman was gored by a bison after she got within 10 feet of the animal in Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming, officials said.
The 25-year-old woman, whose name has not been released, suffered a puncture wound and other injuries Monday after she approached a bison near a boardwalk at Black Sand Basin, park officials said in a news release.
“Consequently, the bison gored the woman and tossed her 10 feet into the air,” the news release said.
Emergency medical responded and the woman was taken to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center by ambulance, officials said.
“This is the first reported incident in 2022 of a visitor threatening a bison (getting too close to the animal) and the bison responding to the threat by goring the individual,” officials said in the news release.
“Bison have injured more people in Yellowstone than any other animal. They are unpredictable and can run three times faster than humans.”
Two other people were also within 25 feet of the same bison, according to the news release. Park officials are reminding visitors to keep back more than 25 yards from large animals such as bison, elk, bighorn sheep, deer, moose and coyotes — and at least 100 yards away from bears and wolves.
Late last year another woman was killed when she jumped into a hot spring, at Yellow Stone, that her dog ran into when it was burning its paws and got scared.
Both of these incidents are reminders that national parks still contain hazards and people should be aware of any danger and avoid it.
For more on this story, please consider these sources:
- Bison gores Yellowstone visitor, tosses her 10 feet, park officials say NBC News
- Grove City woman dies after being gored by bison at Yellowstone park NBC4 Columbus
- A woman was gored and tossed by a bison after approaching the animal in Yellowstone National Park CNN
- Bison Gores a Woman Who Approached in Yellowstone National Park The New York Times
- Yellowstone National Park bison gores visitor on Memorial Day, tosses Ohio woman 10 feet in the air The Washington Post