Mayor: 9-year-old survived attack that killed his family at Maquoketa Caves State Park – KCCI Des Moines
A triple homicide occurred at Maquoketa Caves State Park in Iowa on Friday morning. Authorities found the bodies of three victims and a suspect at the scene.
At about 6:23 a.m., police were called about three dead bodies found at the Maquoketa Caves State Park campground.
At about 8 a.m., police arrived at Maquoketa Caves and locked down the park. Parents with children attending Camp Shalom were also notified that the park was locked down. Some people were evacuated from the park when police arrived, and there was believed to be no further threat to the public.
A 23-year-old man was the active shooter that caused the devastating tragedy at the campsite. He was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound after attacking three members of a family at Maquoketa Caves State Park Campground on Friday.
I’m horrified by the shooting this morning at Maquoketa Caves State Park and devastated by the loss of three innocent lives. As we grieve this unimaginable tragedy, Kevin and I pray for the victims’ family members and the law enforcement officers who responded to the scene.
— Gov. Kim Reynolds (@IAGovernor) July 22, 2022
A 9-year-old boy that belonged to the deceased family survived the attack, according to the mayor of Cedar Falls. Authorities are still trying to determine the relationship between the victims and the suspect.
Cedar Falls, Iowa, is just over two hours northwest of the Quad-Cities and is home to the University of Northern Iowa. A Go Fund Me account has been set up for Arlo Schmidt, the young boy who survived.
For more information on this story, consider the news outlets listed below.
- Mayor: 9-year-old survived attack that killed his family at Maquoketa Caves State Park KCCI Des Moines
- Iowa state park campground shooting leaves 3 dead, gunman also dead Fox News
- Fundraiser created for 9-year-old survivor of Maquoketa Caves shooting kwwl.com
- Parents, 6-year-old girl killed in shooting at Iowa campground: Officials ABC News
- Girl, 6, among 3 fatally shot in tent at Iowa state park WMTV – NBC15
- View Full Coverage on Google News