Chicago police shooting: CPD officer shoots, critically injures carjacking suspect, 13, near Cicero, Chicago Avenue on West Side – WLS-TV
Chicago police tried to stop a stolen vehicle in the 800-block of North Cicero Avenue, near Chicago Avenue, when a boy fled on foot and turned toward the police.
Police said one officer pulled his weapon, shot the 13-year-old, and the boy was taken to Stroger Hospital in critical condition. The boy did not have a weapon and his hands were reportedly raised at the time of the shot.
“All of a sudden, I see a little guy wearing all black get out of the car and run toward the gas station, and his hands were up. And I seen the cop run up to the boy and start shooting. That boy didn’t have no gun or nothing,” said one witness who asked not to be identified.
At least one other suspect drove away in the wanted vehicle, later found empty in the 3800-block of West Monroe Street in East Garfield Park. COPA said the shooting involved officers with CPD’s Vehicle Hijacking Task Force.
Chicago police were trying to stop the stolen car when the boy got out and fled on foot. The vehicle had been used in a carjacking and kidnapping the day before, police said.
Mayor Lori Lightfoot said that the Civilian Office of Police Accountability is investigating the officer-involved shooting that resulted in a thirteen-year-old being shot by a police officer.
Crime has been a consistent problem for Lori Lightfoot. A weekend curfew for unaccompanied minors was supposed to put pause to the regular and deadly spat of shootings taking place around Chicago.
For more on this story consider these sources:
- Chicago police shooting: CPD officer shoots, critically injures carjacking suspect, 13, near Cicero, Chicago Avenue on West Side WLS-TV
- POD video released after Chicago police shoot 13-year-old fleeing car connected to series of crimes WGN News
- Unarmed 13-year-old boy shot and seriously wounded by Chicago police after officers stop car wanted for carja Chicago Sun-Times
- Unarmed 13-Year-Old Shot By Cops During Foot Chase On West Side Block Club Chicago
- Details unfold after boy, 13, is shot and wounded by Chicago Police CBS Chicago