Cold War mentality: China’s Xi denounces ‘abuse of sanctions’ – Al Jazeera English
At meeting of BRICS nations, Xi Jinping says world must move away from US-led hegemony and towards a ‘future of harmony’.
Chinese President Xi Jinping said the world should oppose unilateral sanctions and efforts by some countries to maintain their political and military power, a veiled shot at the United States and its allies over opposition to the war in Ukraine.
BRICS member countries met in Moscow to discuss the global economic crisis, with Russia’s Vladimir Putin blaming certain states for the crisis. He added that honest and mutually beneficial cooperation was the only way out of the situation.
China, India, South Africa and Brazil have all backed Russia in its invasion of Ukraine.
China has sought to use the BRICS meetings to expand its economic and political footprint while asserting its territorial claims in the South China Sea.
Xi said the conflict in Ukraine has “sounded an alarm for humanity” and that sanctions would only act as a “boomerang” and a “double-edged sword”.
The BRICS collective was founded in 2009 but has since seen several members go into crisis. Brazil and South Africa with major economic problems. Russia with their war in Ukraine. China and India have also had problems, including a border dispute, in which people were killed from both sides.
For more on this story, please consider these sources:
- ‘Cold War mentality’: China’s Xi denounces ‘abuse of sanctions’ Al Jazeera English
- Putin meets BRICS head, shows Russia still has allies in Ukraine war Business Insider
- China’s Xi criticizes sanctions at meeting of BRICS nations The Washington Post
- Putin says Russia is rerouting trade to China and India CNN
- China says Ukraine crisis has ‘sounded an alarm for humanity’ NBC News
- View Full Coverage on Google News