23-year-old man who ‘exited’ plane found dead in Fuquay-Varina after massive search – Raleigh News & Observer
A 23-year-old man was found dead after a massive search that involved several municipal, county, and federal agencies. He was identified as Charles Hew Crooks of Raleigh, according to a post on the Fuquay-Varina Police Department’s Facebook page.
A small cargo plane attempted to land on the airport runway spinning out and belly landing into the grass. One person, the pilot, was found on board was transported to Duke hospital with minor injuries.
The twin-engine turbo prop aircraft reported landing gear issues as it approached the airport, and veered into the grass. The pilot left behind was taken to a Duke University hospital with minor injuries. Authorities searched a large swath of Wake County for a second person- his co-pilot.
The body of the co-pilot was found after he jumped out of the plane before it made an emergency landing, according to officials from Wake County. There was no indication that the man had a parachute, according to officials.
Searchers worked with RDU, the FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board to determine the plane’s flight plan and radio traffic.
The plane is registered to Spore LTD LLC from Colorado Springs, and is managed by Rampart Aviation, which offers pilot and aircraft training commercially and for the Department of Defense.
For more information on this story, consider the news outlets listed below.
- 23-year-old man who ‘exited’ plane found dead in Fuquay-Varina after massive search Raleigh News & Observer
- Federal officials are investigating the death of a co-pilot who exited a plane in mid-air in North Carolina CNN
- 1 hospitalized after twin-engine place makes emergency landing at RDU ABC11
- 23-year-old pilot dies while pursuing his dream of flying, his father says WRAL News
- Man dies after jumping from plane before landing near Raleigh; pilot hospitalized, officials say WSOC Charlotte