Carbon Monoxide at Pennsylvania Day Care Center Sends 2 Dozen to Hospitals – The New York Times
Firefighters responded to a call about an unconscious child at the Happy Smiles Learning Center around 7:30 a.m., and found high levels of carbon monoxide. They evacuated the building and took 27 children and staff to hospitals.
Emergency responders went to the child care center in Allentown, Pennsylvania, on reports of an unconscious child. The building was evacuated after air quality detectors triggered.
A staffer had called one of the parents to tell her a child had collapsed. She arrived at the center within minutes and saw the boy in an ambulance.
The Lehigh Valley Health Network treated 19 children ranging in age from several months to 10 years old for carbon monoxide poisoning. Some patients required more aggressive treatment.
More than 400 Americans die every year from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning, which can happen when people are in poorly ventilated, contained spaces where carbon monoxide is trapped. Inhaling too much carbon monoxide can lead to serious tissue damage, including damage to the brain and heart.
The Pennsylvania Senate is trying to require carbon monoxide detectors in childcare centers, but Allentown went a step further and required all childcare centers to have one by October 27.
To learn more about this carbon monoxide leak, please consider the news outlets that are listed below to stay in the know.
- Carbon Monoxide at Pennsylvania Day Care Center Sends 2 Dozen to Hospitals The New York Times
- Several children rushed to hospital after carbon monoxide leak at Allentown day care center CBS Philly
- 32 children and daycare employees are rushed to hospitals after a carbon monoxide leak CNN
- Carbon monoxide leak at Allentown day care sends 32 people to hospitals WGAL Susquehanna Valley Pa.
- At least 26 Pennsylvania children, teaching aides rushed to hospital after carbon monoxide leak at day care Fox News
- View Full Coverage on Google News