Drag Racer Killed Woman Crossing Street During Chaotic Weekend Of Street Takeovers, Police Say – Block Club Chicago
A driver in a South Side drag race hit and killed a 40-year-old woman early Sunday, capping a weekend that saw street takeovers and racing draw large crowds and occupy intersections across the city.
A 27-year-old man and 19-year-old woman were speeding south on Cicero Avenue when the woman changed lanes and hit a 40-year-old woman in the crosswalk, police said. The pedestrian woman was pronounced dead at Advocate Christ Medical Center.
Police arrested Juan Venegas, 18, and Jose Castillo, 18, after seeing them drifting in the street with a man “hanging out of the window”, police said.
Police stopped a driver who was “drifting and doing doughnuts” and charged him with felony aggravated assault on a police officer. The next morning, police responded to a call of drag racing and saw drivers blocking the intersection at Madison and Morgan streets.
Round 2 Green Line Stop Morgan pic.twitter.com/M9BAJ7Q6Kr
— Chicago Kid (@chilandlord) August 28, 2022
Police have responded to several similar calls, and two men were arrested and one car was impounded. Neighbors said they hope something is done about this overnight nuisance.
At least three people have been arrested for dangerous street stunts at 25th Street and King Drive and Wacker and Columbus drives.
Some drivers were wearing ski masks and covered their license plates, and Katsafados said it’s extremely dangerous because a drunk bystander or somebody who is not in complete control could do something.
To learn more about this story, please consider the news outlets listed below.
- Drag Racer Killed Woman Crossing Street During Chaotic Weekend Of Street Takeovers, Police Say Block Club Chicago
- Another weekend of street takeovers leads to hectic clashes between car enthusiasts and Chicago Police Chicago Sun-Times
- Chicago police respond to multiple street racing incidents throughout city CBS Chicago
- Drag racing video: 6 Chicago Police Department vehicles damaged in Pilsen, dangerous drifting caught on camera in West Loop WLS-TV
- Unruly crowds, drifting cars take over Chicago intersections FOX 32 Chicago
- View Full Coverage on Google News