In a dramatic fire reminiscent of the Challenger explosion, a Blue Origin rocket launch failed to achieve its mission of making it to space. The crew capsule and escape system worked as planned, parachuting back to earth.
Short after the unsuccessful launch, the company tweeted, “This was a payload mission without astronauts. The escape system functioned as designed.” As the company explained later Monday, the incident was caused by a booster failure, but the capsule’s escape system “performed as designed” on the uncrewed flight.
- Blue Origin’s uncrewed capsule safely escapes after midflight anomaly The Verge
- Blue Origin capsule aborts mid-launch after New Shepard rocket anomaly in Texas Fox Weather
- Blue Origin ‘responding to an issue’ after abort system activated on uncrewed launch CNN
- After Blue Origin’s rocket explodes, its spacecraft makes a dramatic escape Ars Technica
- Blue Origin rocket suffers problem during uncrewed launch The Washington Post