Caro-Quintero was arrested in Mexico, wanted by the US in the 1985 murder of DEA agent Kiki Camarena.
Mexican forces have arrested infamous drug lord Rafael Caro-Quintero, who walked out of prison in 2013 after serving 28 years of a 40-year sentence for the 1985 kidnapping and killing of U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration agent Enrique “Kiki” Camarena.
Rafael Caro-Quintero was the former leader of the Guadalajara cartel, and the DEA alleges he returned to drug trafficking and ordered bloody attacks in the northern Mexico border state of Sonora.
Caro-Quintero blamed Camarena for a raid on a marijuana plantation in 1984 and ordered Camarena’s kidnapping the following year. Camarena’s body was found a month later with evidence of torture and abuse.
An appeals court overturned Caro-Quintero’s verdict before the Mexican Supreme court confirmed it was valid. Quintero had disappeared before the ruling could be applied.
The FBI added Caro-Quintero to the Top 10 Most Wanted list in 2018 and offered a reward of up to $20 million for information leading to Quintero’s arrest and/or conviction.
The drug-trafficking story of Quintero and Chapo Guzman was featured in the Netflix Series “Narcos Mexico.”
U.S. Attorney General, Merrick Garland, confirmed reports that a Mexican Navy team that had taken part in the operation to capture Caro-Quintero had died when their helicopter malfunctioned and crashed. Fourteen Mexican servicemen are reported to have died in the crash.
The AG also stated that the United States would seek the immediate extradition of Quintero. Saying, “There is no hiding place for anyone who kidnaps, tortures, and murders American law enforcement. We are deeply grateful to Mexican authorities for their capture and arrest of Rafael Caro-Quintero.”
For more on this story, please consider these sources:
- Caro Quintero arrested in Mexico; wanted by US in 1985 murder of DEA agent Kiki Camarena The Washington Post
- Mexico nabs FBI Most Wanted cartel boss accused of ’80s kidnapping, murder of DEA agent Fox News
- Sinaloa cartel leader arrested in connection to 1985 murder CBS Evening News
- Mexico captures infamous drug lord Rafael Caro Quintero The Associated Press – en Español
- Narco kingpin Rafael Caro Quintero, wanted for 1985 killing of DEA agent, captured in Mexico | ABC7 ABC7