A man who was shot at a Washington, D.C., hotel by his wife, who accused him of molesting children at her Owings Mills day care center, now faces more than a dozen criminal charges.
James S. Weems Jr., 57, is accused of sexually abusing at least three children while working at a daycare facility. He is also charged with displaying obscene material to a minor.
The allegations of sexual abuse surfaced after Shanteari Weems shot her husband at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Washington. She told police she believed he had molested children at her daycare.
Shanteari Weems has been charged with assault with intent to kill and assault with a dangerous weapon. Her attorneys say they will provide a “vigorous defense” to the charges.
Shanteari Weems told police she asked her husband about allegations of child molestation and that he attacked her when he stood up and started to “go towards” her. She owned a daycare and was torn apart by guilt and fear, Garcia said.
Police are investigating sexual abuse allegations against James Weems, the husband of Shanteari Weems.
A daycare employee said the center abruptly closed on July 20, the day before the shooting occurred, due to “non-compliance with the child care center regulations.” Parents were given letters explaining the suspension and were offered help in finding new child care.
The Maryland State Department of Education’s Division of Early Childhood inspected the child care center numerous times since 2019 and identified several issues. The majority were corrected.
Detectives from Baltimore County Police and D.C.’s Metropolitan Police Department are investigating a report of child abuse. Child Protective Services may investigate the report as well.
For more on this story, please consider these sources:
- Man who was shot by wife in D.C. and accused of sexual abuse while working at Baltimore County day care is facing 13 charges Baltimore Sun
- Maryland woman, 50, shoots dead former cop husband at DC hotel Daily Mail
- A Man Who Was Allegedly Shot By His Wife Is Now Wanted Over Accusations That He Sexually Abused Kids At Her Daycare BuzzFeed News
- Man faces multiple charges after being shot by wife over day care molestation claims WBAL Radio
- Ex-Baltimore officer shot by wife, who accused him of assaulting kids at her daycare, is charged with child sex abuse NBC News