Terrance John “TJ” Cox, 59, was arrested by FBI agents on Tuesday and charged with 28 counts of money laundering, wire fraud, campaign fraud, and other charges.
Cox, a Democrat from California, is accused of a laundry list of financial crimes.
Cox allegedly steered illicit campaign contributions. Stole investor capital under false pretense to pay personal expenses and falsified documents to secure construction loans which went into default.
Prosecutors detailed in the 25-page indictment how Cox allegedly stole $1.7 million from clients and companies he was associated with from 2013 to 2018.
Cox lost his congressional seat in 2020 to Republican Rep. David Valadao by a tiny margin of defeat.
For more on this story, please consider these sources:
- Former US Rep. TJ Cox indicted on federal money laundering and wire fraud charges CNN
- Former Kern County congressman T.J. Cox facing fraud, money laundering charges 23 ABC News | KERO
- Former Democratic California congressman TJ Cox indicted for money laundering and fraud Fox News
- FBI arrests former Rep. T.J. Cox on dozens of fraud charges POLITICO
- Former Democratic Congressman Charged With Fraud The New York Times