‘Something is off’: Good Samaritans rush in to rescue kidnapped teen girl at Hilo cafe – Hawaii News Now
The suspect in the abduction of 15-year-old Mikella Debina has been arrested, and the police are continuing their investigation. Hawaii County Mayor Mitch Roth thanked HPD officers, the FBI and the community for helping find Mikella. Hawaii island police confirmed they located Debina, who was in good health in Hilo, after an alleged abduction.
An AMBER alert was issued for Debina on Friday after she was reported abducted in the area of Anaehoomalu Bay near Waikoloa Beach Drive. A restaurant host said he noticed the suspect and kidnapped teen arguing and realized it was Debina when the suspect let go of the teen for a second.
Kori Takaki, who was eating at Cafe Pesto when the incident went down, said she thought the woman wasn’t wearing her own clothes and thought it was strange that she was wearing men’s clothing. She stayed with Debina until the police arrived and helped her get in contact with her mom.
Police were searching for Duncan Mahi, 52, in connection with the abduction of thte teen girl. Mahi was last seen driving a 2011 white Honda CRV with Hawaii license plate ZAE959.
To learn more information about this Amber alert issues in Hawaii, please consider the news outlets listed below to stay in the know.
- ‘Something is off’: Good Samaritans rush in to rescue kidnapped teen girl at Hilo cafe Hawaii News Now
- Mikella Debina found safe in Hilo, no word on suspect’s whereabouts KHON2 News
- Police: Hawaii Island teen abducted from beach found safe; suspect in custody Hawaii News Now
- Suspect arrested for alleged abduction of 15-year-old girl, official says Honolulu Star-Advertiser
- Abducted teen escapes captor: 15-year-old safe and suspect is in police custody West Hawaii Today