A house explosion caused by a gas leak killed three family members, including a 3-year-old girl.
Six other people were injured, including the couple’s 6-month-old daughter, and are all hospitalized in stable condition.
Sheriff Britton Ferrell said: “Please pray for this family and everyone involved in this incident. This incident was beyond tragic and struck this community hard.”
Investigators determined the cause of the explosion was from propane gas that filled the residence. The leak is narrowed down to the gas cook stove or a gas water heater. It is unknown at this time what the ignition source was that ignited the gas. This incident is ruled an accident, but the investigation continues.
This incident is not drug-related, and no foul play is suspected.
In the State of Missouri, less than ten residences explode from gas leaks annually.
There are several different ways to prevent this from happening. The following is what you can do:
If you smell an odor of rotten eggs or a gassy smell, Leave the building and, at a safe distance, call the utility company or emergency services and report the gas leak.
Please do not return to the building until the gas company tells you it is safe.
Do not open a window if you smell or detect natural gas/propane gas. Do not do anything that could create a spark, including using the telephone, plugging in, unplugging an appliance, or using a match.
For more on this story, please consider these sources:
- Missouri house explosion: Mom, daughter died in Wyatt – USA Today
- Coroner: Another victim in Wyatt, Mo. house explosion dies – KFVS
- 3 family members, including a toddler, killed in Missouri house explosion – NBC News
- Mother is the 3rd person to die after Missouri home exploded – ABC News