A Las Vegas public official is held on open murder charge in connection with the killing of an investigative journalist, sheriff says – CNN
Clark County Public Administrator Robert Telles, 45, was arrested Wednesday in connection with the killing of Review-Journal reporter Jeff German.
Telles, 45, was a resident of Clark County for more than 20 years and founded Accolade Law, which focused on estate planning and probate matters. He lost his reelection in June to Rita Reid, who said he created a toxic work environment.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal’s executive editor said he was outraged that a colleague appeared to have been killed for reporting on an elected official.
Police believe the killing occurred the suspect approached German’s home and went to the side of the house. German was stabbed multiple times.
Authorities identified Telles as a person of interest after discovering surveillance footage of a vehicle seen at Telles’ house before and after German’s killing. Telles’ DNA matched DNA found at the crime scene, and he was taken into custody safely, though he suffered “self-inflicted” wounds.
German, a consummate reporter, was working on a story about Telles when he was killed. Telles denied the reports and said German was trying to “drag me through the mud”.
The editor of the Review-Journal said the arrest of Telles was both a relief and an outrage, and that the newspaper, the German family and Jeff’s friends could now begin the process of mourning and honoring a great man.
Rebecca Aguilar, president of the Society of Professional Journalists, said Jeff German’s killing was a reminder that everyday journalists put their lives on the line to uncover the truth.
Coworkers noted a maroon SUV in Telles’ driveway similar to the one in the photo released by authorities, and the police took away the vehicle. The investigation remains ongoing.
To learn more about this story, please consider the news outlets listed below.
- A Las Vegas public official is held on open murder charge in connection with the killing of an investigative journalist, sheriff says CNN
- Police: Official’s DNA found at slain reporter’s crime scene The Associated Press – en Español
- Las Vegas stabbing suspect was discovered with self-inflicted gunshot wounds: police New York Daily News
- History of Rob Telles, Clark County’s Public Administrator Fox 5 Las Vegas
- Investigation into the stabbing death of a Las Vegas reporter intensifies CNN
- View Full Coverage on Google News