1 dead, 17 hurt in crash during fundraiser for fire victims – The Associated Press – en Español
A 24-year-old man was being held without bail on Sunday after police alleged he deliberately drove a car into a crowd at a Pennsylvania fundraiser, killing a woman and injuring 17 people.
Police were called to the Intoxicology Department bar in Berwick after a vehicle drove through the crowd, and then received a call about that same man allegedly assaulting a woman in Nescopeck.
Police allege that suspect Sura Reyes sped into a crowd of people after an argument with his mother, including adults and small children. Video surveillance gathered by the Pennsylvania State Police corroborates Sura Reyes’s statement.
Geisinger Medical Center said it received 15 patients after the crash, and five remained in critical condition. Three others were listed in fair condition.
Upon further investigation, authorities discovered that Reyes had assaulted his mother at his home after crashing through the fundraiser crowd. Police found Reyes’s mother dead at the scene and detained the suspect of both incidents.
Sura Reyes was denied bail and remained in Columbia County prison pending an Aug. 29 preliminary hearing.
The restaurant where Saturday’s fundraiser was taking place issued a statement on its Facebook page in honor of the victims.
For more details on this gruesome story, please consider the news outlets listed below to stay in the know.
- 1 dead, 17 hurt in crash during fundraiser for fire victims The Associated Press – en Español
- Man charged with 2 counts of homicide after driving car into fundraiser, allegedly killing woman in unrelated incident ABC News
- Car Slams Into Fundraiser For Victims Of Fatal Fire, 1 Killed, 17 Injured TODAY
- Man who drove into fundraiser charged in unrelated homicides WPVI-TV
- 1 person is dead and 17 injured after a car drove through a crowd at a Pennsylvania community event CNN
- View Full Coverage on Google News