Man charged in attempted murder-suicide that killed WWJ radio anchor, hurt 3 in Macomb County – WDIV ClickOnDetroit
Arthur Williamson, 55, was charged with murder after attacking Matthews on Friday. He pleaded not guilty and had no bond set court on Monday.
The man has been charged in connection with the attempted murder-suicide of Jim Matthews, 57, who worked as an overnight news anchor for WWJ 950. Family members claim that Matthews’ suspected killer welcomed them into the home hours before attacking Matthews.
Police said Williamson attacked Matthews, his girlfriend and their son. Hunter, 10, was beaten, hit with a hammer and bound before being thrown into a closet after the incident. Hunter experienced serious head injuries and underwent ear and brain surgery.
Williamson was found overdosing on heroin and suffering from self-inflicted wounds.
Williamson was charged with first-degree murder, premeditated murder, two counts of assault with intent to murder, and three counts of unlawful imprisonment.
Matthews, who went by Nicolai, was found in a scene worse than ‘a horror movie’ by his brother. The news anchor was found dead from blunt force trauma injuries. It is believed that his 10-year-old son was trying to fight off the suspect.
Colleagues of the late news anchor were forced to report on his death, saying that it was ‘very difficult to report’.
For additional information on this story, please consider the news outlets listed below to stay in the know.
- Man charged in attempted murder-suicide that killed WWJ radio anchor, hurt 3 in Macomb County WDIV ClickOnDetroit
- Michigan news anchor, 57, was killed by a man who knew his girlfriend, 35, ‘pretty well’ Daily Mail
- Family Asks For Prayers After Michigan Radio News Anchor Killed NBC News
- Grandma talks about GoFundMe created for news anchor’s kids after Chesterfield attack WXYZ 7 Action News Detroit
- 10-Year-Old Son of Slain News Anchor in Critical Condition Post-Op The Daily Beast