Abbott Nutrition restarts baby formula production in reopened Michigan plant – CNBC
Abbott Nutrition resumed production at its shuttered Sturgis, Mich., baby formula factory on Saturday, offering hope that a nationwide shortage could ease in the coming weeks.
The Abbott factory that produces Similac and other specialty formulas was closed earlier this year after an FDA inspection turned up allegedly unsanitary conditions. It will take two weeks to fully resume production.
The FDA said it was working hard to ensure the safe resumption of production at Abbott Nutrition’s Sturgis facility, but that the problems found at the facility were “beyond the pale” and might require more significant remediation.
Two infants were sickened and two others died after consuming contaminated formula, but the source of the contamination is unclear. Inspectors found bacteria on environmental samples they took outside the main formula production area.
Abbott says it has upgraded its facility by replacing a roof, installing nonporous floors, and updating its education and training procedures.
The facility’s reopening will not immediately lead to fully stocked grocery shelves, and parents continue to report difficulty finding the formula they need, with some driving long distances and others paying a premium to buy it online.
Abbott said the EleCare product could reach stores in 16 days, but testing of batches adds weeks to the production process.
Abbott agreed to fix safety issues at its factory and notify the FDA if contamination is detected.
For more on this story, please consider these sources:
- Abbott Nutrition restarts baby formula production in reopened Michigan plant CNBC
- Michigan Baby Formula Plant Begins Production But Supply Won’t Hit Shelves Weeks NBC News
- Abbott’s Michigan baby formula plant reopens: How long before parents see more supply? Fox Business
- Abbott’s shuttered baby formula factory in Michigan to begin production again The Washington Post
- Radio Station WHMI 93.5 FM — Livingston County Michigan News, Weather, Traffic, Sports, School Updates, and the Best Classic Hit WHMI
- View Full Coverage on Google News