Milwaukee officers killed a man after leading them on a chase through the busiest downtown bar area. He then got out of his car and opened fire on the police.
One bystander, a 22-year-old woman from Hudson, was struck and wounded during Friday night’s shooting, police said. Authorities said they did not immediately know whether officers or a man shot her; police said her injuries were not life-threatening, and she was being treated at a local hospital. No officers were injured in the shooting.
Police said a 47-year-old man from Milwaukee was wanted in a murder, and officers had already seen him traveling in the car, trying to pull him over around 11 p.m. Friday when he fled. When the pursuit ended downtown, the man got out of the vehicle and “fired multiple shots” at officers, police said. Several officers returned fire, killing him, police said.
A video spread across social media showed at least five police cars following the pickup truck, then numerous gunshots were heard. In another video, several people are seen standing on a sidewalk while police cars pass with lights and sirens, then scattering when shots are heard.
Police did not give names to the men or injured bystanders, whom they said were not involved. Police said a gun was recovered from the man but have not released details of what type of gun.
For more on this story, please consider these sources:
- Homicide suspect killed in shootout with Milwaukee Police WISN Milwaukee
- Homicide suspect in chase fatally shot by Milwaukee officers | FOX6 News Milwaukee FOX6 News Milwaukee
- Man dies in shootout with Milwaukee police; bystander hurt The Associated Press – en Español
- Police shootout in busy downtown Milwaukee leaves 1 dead, 1 injured Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Milwaukee police update on fatal officer-involved shooting on E. Juneau Avenue | FOX6 News Milwaukee FOX6 News Milwaukee