Police: 1 killed, 2 hurt in apparent stabbing at high school – ABC News
Police said that one student was dead and another was injured in a stabbing at Northside High School. The chief said that the attack occurred within a common area of the school and that police will interview students who saw or may have seen the attack.
The school went into lockdown from just after 7 a.m. until around 8:45 a.m., after which the school began a dismissal process to release students to their parents. All athletic and other school-related events outside of class were canceled Thursday and Friday. Counseling was being provided for anyone who needed it.
Police would not confirm whether the stabbing was gang-related, but counselors will be at the school Thursday and Tuesday to work with students. Police say one person was taken into custody for the fatal stabbing.
The authorities are providing few details following an incident at an eastern Carolina high school, but have declared there is no threat to students or the general public.
The attack happened just days after the school district began class on Monday. The superintendent said the school district had expanded security in the last year and will look into further safety measures.
The stabbing incident at Northside High School in Jacksonville, North Carolina, is currently being investigated. Police are asking people to avoid the area so that they can effectively investigate.
To learn more about this case, please consider the news outlets listed below to stay in the know.
- Police: 1 killed, 2 hurt in apparent stabbing at high school ABC News
- North Carolina student dead, another injured in high school stabbing Fox News
- Student killed in stabbing at Jacksonville, NC high school, police say WCNC
- CHIEF: One student dead, another injured in stabbing at Northside High School in Jacksonville WITN
- One student dead, another injured in stabbing at NC high school CBS 17