NYC taxi driver killed by passengers attempting to rob him, police say. They’re offering a reward to find the suspects – CNN
Kutin Gyimah, 52, a married father of four young children from Ghana, chased after a group of five passengers who tried to rob him on Sunday morning.
Gyimah was driving a yellow cab minivan when his passengers allegedly tried to rob him. Gyimah tried to chase the passengers down, but was struck by at least one of them. He was taken to a hospital for his injuries he sustained during the robbery. He was later pronounced dead at that hospital.
Fernando Mateo, a spokesperson for the New York State Federation of Taxi Drivers, said the federation has raised $10,000 in addition to $69,000 raised on a verified GoFundMe page to help Gyimah’s family with funeral and living expenses.
NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell encouraged people to submit tips to help arrest the perpetrators of the “senseless” attack, and CrimeStoppers is also offering a reward.
City Hall said in a statement that violence will not be tolerated in its streets and that it will work to bring those responsible to justice.
The widow the former taxi driver wants justice for her husband’s killers. The New York State Federation of Taxi Drivers is offering a $15,000 reward for information leading to their arrests.
For additional updates on this story, please consider the news sources listed below.
- NYC taxi driver killed by passengers attempting to rob him, police say. They’re offering a reward to find the suspects CNN
- No arrests in death of NYC taxi driver, married father of 4, beat down by fare-evading robbery suspects Fox News
- Widow speaks out as police search for suspect in taxi driver’s death Eyewitness News ABC7NY
- Slain NYC cabbie’s kids finally learn of his death day after he was fatally beaten in Queens New York Post
- NYC taxi driver, a father of 4, dies in robbery incident; $15K reward for suspects: Report SILive.com
- View Full Coverage on Google News