A Miami high school senior was killed, and ten others were injured after a boat collision Sunday in the Florida Keys. Lucy Fernandez, 17, was on a vessel with 13 other people when the 29-foot Robalo Center Console crashed.
Eleven people, including Fernandez, were hurt, Miami-Dade Fire Rescue said. Four suffered traumatic injuries and were airlifted to a hospital.
Fernandez, a Our Lady of Lourdes Academy student in Miami, died of her injuries.
“Known for her smile, larger-than-life personality, and signature laugh, Lucy was a joy to all who knew her and a shining light at our school,” her all-girls Catholic high school wrote on Facebook. “The hundreds of people who joined us in the grotto this evening to pray for the repose of her soul are a testament to her beautiful legacy of faith, love, and sisterhood.”
Miami-Dade Police first arrived at the crash site and pulled people out of the water. Fire rescue workers helped pull people out of the water and evaluated them.
The status of the ten injured people was unclear Tuesday, but two of the injured were seniors at Our Lady of Lourdes, and two other schools held vigils Monday evening.
For more on this story, please consider these sources:
- Teenager killed and 10 others injured in Florida Keys boat crash The Washington Post
- Special Tribute for Miami-Dade student killed in a boat crash CBS Miami
- 2 remain in critical condition as 17-year-old victim mourned after Miami-Dade boat crash WPLG Local 10
- Who are the Miami-area school kids on the boat that crashed off the Keys? What we know Miami Herald
- Miami-Dade boat crash WPBF 25 News