Paul Pelosi Attacked With A Hammer By Assailant Looking For His Wife

In two sources familiar with the situation, Paul Pelosi, the husband of Nancy Pelosi, was assaulted by a man who tried to tie him up “until Nancy got home.” When the police arrived, the man said he was “waiting for Nancy.”

According to law enforcement sources, a male assailant attacked Paul Pelosi early Friday morning at the couple’s San Francisco home with a hammer. According to a source briefed on the attack, the assailant searched for the speaker of the House when he attacked Pelosi. The intruder confronted the speaker’s husband in their San Francisco home shouting, “Where’s Nancy?”.

Pelosi, 82, was hospitalized but is expected to make a full recovery, the Democratic speaker’s office said in a statement. A source familiar with the situation says Pelosi was taken into surgery this morning. Doctors have told his family he is expected to make a full recovery.

According to a source knowledgeable about the incident, Speaker Pelosi was able to speak with her husband after the attack and before surgery.

According to the source, Paul Pelosi was having surgery on his head for injuries, but he did not provide further details.

Speaker Pelosi is returning to San Francisco with her family to be with her husband on Friday afternoon.

In the wake of the attack, congressional leaders on both sides of the aisle expressed condolences and condemned the attack. With other high-profile violent incidents that have targeted members of Congress in recent years, fears of political violence directed toward lawmakers remain high.

Nancy Pelosi’s spokesman Drew Hammill said the assailant is in custody and a motive for the attack is being investigated. Pelosi was in Washington at the time of the attack, Hammill said.

“I would like to thank the first responders and medical professionals involved, and request privacy at this time,” Hammill said in his statement.

David DePape, 42, was identified as the suspect at a news conference held by Police Chief William Scott, who described what law enforcement officers saw when they arrived.

When officers arrived at the residence, Scott said, they encountered “an adult male and Mr. Pelosi’s husband, Paul.” Scott went on to say that, “the suspect pulled a hammer away from Mr. Pelosi and violently assaulted him with it. Our officers immediately tackled the suspect, disarmed him, took him into custody, requested emergency backup and rendered medical aid.

Scott said that a motive is still being determined.

One source familiar with the matter and one who spoke with law enforcement say Pelosi called 911 at the beginning of the attack.

The dispatcher heard Pelosi’s conversation in the background, as she kept the line open.

A law enforcement source said Pelosi was talking in code, providing enough details so that the operator overhearing it understood that something was amiss. According to the source, Pelosi was also trying to keep it hidden from the intruder that he had an open line.

Police were dispatched to the house after the dispatcher heard Pelosi talking about what was happening.

An officer’s bodycam captured Pelosi’s struggle as police intervened through the door, according to one source.

Earlier this morning, Capitol Police said they were assisting the FBI and San Francisco Police with a joint investigation into the break-in at Pelosi’s California home.

Sources familiar with protocol say there would not have been a security detail at Speaker Pelosi’s residence.

John Nightbridge is a veteran reporter, researcher, and economic policy major from UCLA. Passionate about world issues and potential ways to solve them is a significant focus of his work. Writing freelance and reading the news are John's passions at work. Outside of work, it's all about sky diving, surfing, and stock market modeling.