California plane lands on busy freeway near Los Angeles, ignites after crashing into truck – USA TODAY
In what appears to be a fiery scene out of a movie, a small plane had to make an emergency landing directly into traffic on a Los Angeles freeway and almost immediately crashed into traffic and then exploded into flames. Miraculously the pilot and passenger escaped unharmed.
A single-engine plane carrying a pilot and one passenger crashed on the 91 Freeway after an engine malfunction, colliding with a moving truck on landing and then igniting into flames. The two people inside the plane escaped unharmed.
The pilot said his training allowed him to land semi-successfully in traffic, and he didn’t panic. The pilot of a single-engine Piper Cherokee PA-32 had an unspecified “engine issue” while flying to Corona Municipal Airport but made a good landing.
Single engine small craft planes are known for their ability to coast for quite some time before losing the ability to choose a landing spot; this pilot must have had very few options to pick a busy freeway as a landing site; at least he was able to pick the right direction for his landing.
Watch the video of this shocking crash:
View this post on Instagram
Read more on this story at the following additional cited news sources:
- California plane lands on busy freeway near Los Angeles, ignites after crashing into truck USA TODAY
- Video captures the moment small plane crash-lands onto California freeway, erupts in flames NBC News
- Plane makes dramatic crash landing on California highway before bursting into flames New York Post
- ‘I Just Headed for the Gap’: Pilot Describes Dramatic Crash Landing on Freeway NBC Southern California
- California plane crash-lands and ignites on freeway near Los Angeles Fox News