Pompeo Calls Out Iran Over “Hitler” Rhetoric
(RightWing.org) – Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has slammed Iran for using language that, he says, echoes the genocidal rhetoric of the Third Reich. The rogue state’s foreign minister was promoting regime propaganda referring to “the final solution” – the Nazi euphemism for the mass murder of 6 million Jews in the early 1940s.
Iran is currently making yet another diplomatic push to be seen as a stable and responsible nation, but senior regime officials go off-message with depressing regularity. This time, it’s the turn of foreign minister Javad Zarif.
- On Friday morning, Iran’s religious leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, launched a crazed tirade against Israel on Twitter. In the course of his rant, Khamenei called the Jewish state a “cancerous growth” and a “virus.”
- The ayatollah was promoting a propaganda campaign demanding a referendum on the creation of a Palestinian state, which uses the slogan, “The final solution: Resistance until referendum.”
- It’s hard to see the choice of words, in the context of Israel, as anything but deliberately provocative. “The final solution to the Jewish question” was the innocuous-sounding code used by the Nazis to refer to their program of industrial-scale mass extermination.
- When the slogan attracted a backlash online, Foreign Minister Zarif stepped in with a tweet of his own.
Disgusting that those whose civilization found a "Final Solution" in gas chambers attack those who seek a real solution at the ballot box, through a REFERENDUM.
Why are US and West so afraid of democracy?
Palestinians should not have to pay for your crimes, or for your guilt. pic.twitter.com/0jjB9jaljw
— Javad Zarif (@JZarif) May 21, 2020
- Zarif’s actual words were, by Iranian standards, relatively mild. However, he also tweeted a propaganda image that contained the offensive slogan.
- Secretary Pompeo was the next to join in on Twitter expressing disbelief that Iran would use this language. He said, “This depravity should dispel any notion the regime belongs in the community of nations.”
- While the previous administration cut Iran a lot of slack – and achieved nothing in the way of reining in the regime’s behavior – President Trump and his cabinet have taken a much harder line.
- This week, the US imposed targeted sanctions on some Iranian officials and organizations in an attempt to pressure the regime into allowing more human rights for its own people.
- Iran faces growing tension between the two sides of its split government. The elected parliament – which actually has reserved seats for Jewish lawmakers – wants to liberalize and create more opportunities for the country’s young population. However, the parallel theocratic dictatorship that wields power through the thugs of the Revolutionary Guards Corps is determined to maintain an iron grip.
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has also spoken up about Iran’s final solution rhetoric. He said Khamenei “must know that any regime that threatens Israel with extermination will find itself in similar danger.”
Copyright 2020, RightWing.org