No way out for Ukrainians in embattled city as Russian forces destroy last bridge – Reuters.com
Russian forces cut off all routes for evacuating citizens from Sievierodonetsk and are destroying high-rise buildings and the Azot chemical plant, a Ukrainian official said.
Ukraine has issued urgent calls for more Western heavy weapons to help defend Sievierodonetsk, which is now under enemy control. The last bridge across the river to the twin city of Lysychansk was destroyed, trapping civilians and making humanitarian supplies impossible to deliver.
President Zelenskiy said the battle for the eastern Donbas would go down as one of the most brutal in European history. He also said that Ukraine needs 1,000 howitzers, 500 tanks, and 1,000 drones, among other heavy weapons.
Russia has said it has destroyed U.S. and European arms and equipment in Udachne and has threatened to strike new targets if the West supplies long-range missiles.
Russia’s RIA news agency quoted a pro-Moscow separatist spokesperson saying Ukrainian troops in Sievierodonetsk should surrender or die. The situation risked becoming like Mariupol, with a large pocket of Ukrainian defenders cut off from the rest of the Ukrainian troops.
Russia has focused on expanding control in the Donbas after failing to take the capital Kyiv and has also tried to capture more of Ukraine’s Black Sea coast.
Donetsk separatists said three people were killed and 18 wounded by Ukrainian artillery munitions hitting a market in Donetsk city.
The European Commission will recommend that Ukraine be granted official candidate status by the end of the week. To apply for EU membership.
For more on this story, please consider these sources:
- No way out for Ukrainians in embattled city as Russian forces destroy last bridge Reuters.com
- Russia-Ukraine live news: Kyiv says ‘dealing with absolute evil’ Al Jazeera English
- Fears grow for Sievierodonetsk civilians as plant struck and bridges destroyed The Guardian
- All Severodonetsk bridges destroyed: “Evacuation is impossible” Axios
- Russia destroys last bridge to Sievierodonetsk, Ukraine says Reuters
- View Full Coverage on Google News