Authorities say a 12-year-old girl from Texas shot her father as part of a plot with a friend to murder their families and run away from home.
According to the Parker County Sheriff’s Office, the girl and her friend planned the murder plot for weeks. They allegedly plotted to kill their families and pets before fleeing to Georgia together.
The girl’s friend did not follow through with the plan, according to the sheriff’s office.
In Weatherford, Texas, deputies responded to a shooting about 11:30 p.m. Tuesday.
A handgun was found lying beneath the girl’s body with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. In the home, her father had been shot in the abdomen.
The girl and her father were flown to the hospital. There is no information about their current condition.
The plan was for her to drive to Lufkin, Texas, to pick up her friend and then drive to Georgia.
Parker County Sheriff’s Office has charged the friend with criminal conspiracy in planning the murder plot.
It remains unclear why the girls did what they did. The Lufkin Police Department is also investigating the incident.
“In light of the injuries, the age of the juveniles, and the sensitive nature of the case, information regarding this case will be limited,” Parker County Sheriff Russ Authier said.
To protect the children, the sheriff’s office will not identify juvenile suspects or the adult victim.
For more on this story, please consider these sources:
- 12-year-old Texas girl allegedly shoots self, father in alleged murder pact NBC News
- Texas girl, 12, shoots father, self after plotting with friend to murder families: sheriff Fox News
- 12-year-old Texas girl shoots dad in alleged plot with friend to kill their families New York Post
- Top stories: Texas girl shoots father in alleged murder plot, police say mySA
- 12-Year-Old Texas Girl Shoots Dad, Herself After Plotting With Another Girl To Kill Their Families and Run Away CrimeOnline