According to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office, a 17-year-old suspect has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Lyric Woods (14) and Devin Clark (18).
The two were found dead Saturday afternoon after their families last reported seeing them Friday.
A 16- or 17-year-old suspect is not automatically charged as an adult under state law, but Sheriff Charles Blackwood said if the court finds probable cause for the case, the case could be transferred to an adult court.
Blackwood said that his investigators had identified a suspect due to diligent work and the assistance of many other law enforcement agencies. “In order to apprehend and present the suspect to the court system, we will work with local, state, and federal authorities.”
Fox News Digital reports that Lyric and Clark were last seen by their family members on Friday. Family members said the two were friends but not dating and were picked up by an unidentified adult in an unknown vehicle.
- Update: Orange Co NC teens Lyric Woods, Devin Clark homicides Raleigh News & Observer
- Missing High School Students Turn Up Dead on North Carolina Trail The Daily Beast
- Top local stories we are following today WLOS
- Classmates remember students found dead in Orange County ABC11
- North Carolina 17-year-old charged with 2 counts of murder in slayings of missing teens, sheriff says Fox News