College student killed defending her mother

In a tragic incident, Angelina Tran, a 21-year-old student at the University of Washington, was fatally stabbed while trying to protect her mother from her stepfather’s violent attack at their home in Seattle. The horrifying event, which took place on August 7, was recorded by a home security camera. The stepfather, Nghiep Kein Chau, is now facing charges of first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder for his actions against Tran and her mother.

According to court documents, Chau’s violent rampage began with an argument with Tran’s mother in the kitchen, during which he reportedly hit her around 15 times in the face and head. Tran, who was asleep at the time, woke up and tried to intervene. Her brave act allowed her mother to escape and hide in a nearby room.

However, Chau’s assault did not stop there. He wrestled Tran to the ground, grabbed a knife, and began stabbing her. The surveillance footage from inside the house shows Chau stabbing Tran a total of 107 times. He then allegedly dragged her across the room and continued his attack with a different knife, a meat cleaver, after changing his blood-soaked clothes.

Tran’s mother, while hiding, managed to call 911. When the police arrived at the Beacon Hill residence around 5 a.m., they found Chau covered in blood and holding a large kitchen knife. He was immediately arrested, and Tran was pronounced dead at the scene. Her mother was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.

Chau reportedly confessed to the police that he had killed someone. He also admitted that he intended to kill his wife if he had found her before the police arrived. According to the charging documents, Chau believed his wife was planning to divorce him and take all his money, which led to his anger and subsequent attack.

Angelina Tran is remembered as a dedicated student and a compassionate individual committed to making a difference in the lives of the elderly. A GoFundMe page set up in her name describes her as an “incredible daughter, cherished friend, and above all, a perfect girlfriend.” Chau, who spent the last year in Vietnam and returned to the U.S. in April, is currently being held in the King County Jail on a $5 million bail.