Gunman kills two security officers at airport

A Tajik man opened fire at Moldova’s main international airport on Friday, killing two security officers and injuring a civilian. The incident occurred after the assailant was denied entry into the country. The suspect, identified as Rustam Ashurov, was wounded and apprehended by the police. Flights at Chisinau International Airport were briefly grounded due to the incident.

According to authorities, Rustam Ashurov, a 43-year-old Tajik man, shot dead two security officers and wounded a civilian at Moldova’s Chisinau International Airport. The suspect had been denied entry into the country, leading to the violent outburst. Police confirmed that Ashurov was wounded during the incident and subsequently apprehended.

The General Prosecutor’s Office of Tajikistan identified the assailant as Rustam Ashurov, stating that he was a member of an “organized criminal group.” The group had allegedly kidnapped the deputy chairman of a Tajik bank in the capital city of Dushanbe on June 23. Following the launch of a criminal investigation, Ashurov fled to Moldova via Turkey with the intention of hiding in European Union countries. However, upon his arrival at Chisinau International Airport, he was denied entry and resorted to violence.

During the attack, Ashurov seized a guard’s weapon while being escorted away by officials. He then fatally shot two security officers and injured a traveler. Special forces intervened to subdue Ashurov, who sustained serious injuries and was subsequently hospitalized. The incident is being investigated as a possible terrorist attack.

The two individuals killed in the attack were identified as a border guard and an airport security officer. President Maia Sandu expressed her condolences for the loss of life. The gunman, Rustam Ashurov, held a Tajikistan passport and had arrived in Chisinau from Istanbul.

Moldova, a former Soviet state in central Asia, declared independence in 1991 and is currently seeking to join the European Union. The incident at Chisinau International Airport caused disruption to commercial activity and flight arrangements. Passengers were initially unaware of the situation, with some speculating about a possible bomb threat.