Man charged after intentionally running over his wife while drunk

GRAND RAPIDS, MI – A local man from Grand Rapids, Michigan is being held on a $1 million bond following allegations of drunk driving and fatally striking his wife with his vehicle. The incident reportedly occurred after a heated argument on Friday night, according to local law enforcement.

The Mason County Sheriff’s Office in Michigan has identified the suspect as 58-year-old Mark Lazon Casterman. He has been formally charged and arraigned on multiple counts, including murder, operating while intoxicated leading to death, operating on a suspended or revoked license causing death, and operating while intoxicated.

The incident took place on Freeman Road in Free Soil Township. Deputies were called to the scene around 11:15 a.m. on September 15. Upon arrival, they found a 45-year-old woman from Grand Rapids, identified as Melissa Sue Casterman, deceased.

Mark Casterman, Melissa’s husband, was apprehended at the scene. Over the subsequent weekend, detectives undertook a comprehensive investigation, gathering evidence from the crash site, the vehicle, and the victim. This process also involved measuring tire marks and scrutinizing local security camera footage.

The Sheriff’s Office stated that the investigation led detectives to conclude that Melissa Casterman was driving south on US 31 near Freeman Road when a dispute erupted between her and her husband, who was a passenger in the vehicle. Melissa reportedly pulled the vehicle over and exited, crossing the highway and walking southbound along the northbound shoulder. Mark then allegedly took control of the vehicle and drove past his wife twice before making a U-turn, accelerating, and striking her.

Authorities reported that Melissa was killed instantly upon impact. During his arraignment, Mark Casterman was ordered to be held on a $1 million cash bond.

Sheriff Kim C. Cole expressed his sadness over the tragic incident, stating, “Although I am heartbroken that such an event could play out in our community and done so publicly for innocent citizens to witness, I am grateful to our investigators. They worked tirelessly throughout the weekend putting this case together and did so with the commitment to finding the truth and seeking justice for the victim.”