Toddler’s body found. A suspect has been arrested.

In a heartbreaking turn of events, the body of a missing Michigan toddler has been discovered in Detroit. The grim discovery comes days after a man suspected in her disappearance was arrested on unrelated charges. The Lansing Police Chief confirmed that 2-year-old Wynter Cole-Smith was found by a federal search team near the Coleman A. Young International Airport. The investigation has now shifted from a missing child case to a homicide investigation, leaving the community in shock and mourning.

Wynter Cole-Smith was reported missing on Sunday in Lansing after her mother was physically assaulted by an ex-boyfriend in their apartment. The mother, who remains unidentified, managed to escape and call for help, but Wynter was nowhere to be found when the authorities arrived. The FBI reported that the mother had multiple stab wounds but has since been released from the hospital. Thankfully, Wynter’s brother, who was also present during the incident, was unharmed.

The suspect, identified as Rashad Maleek Trice, allegedly stole a white 2013 Chevrolet Impala and crashed it 90 miles away. He was apprehended following the crash and is currently under police guard at a hospital. Trice, 26, has been charged with a range of offenses, including assault with intent to murder, first-degree home invasion, unlawful imprisonment, aggravated domestic violence, and criminal sexual assault. He is being held without bond after his arraignment.

Wynter’s grandmother, Sharen Eddings, revealed that her daughter fought back during the attack. Eddings shared that her daughter was able to wound Trice after he stabbed her, prompting him to threaten harm to Wynter before fleeing the scene. Eddings expressed her hope for Wynter’s safe return, but tragically, that hope was shattered with the discovery of her body.

The community is devastated by this senseless tragedy, and the focus now shifts to supporting Wynter’s grieving family. The investigation into the circumstances surrounding Wynter’s death continues, as authorities work tirelessly to bring justice to those responsible for this heinous crime.