Two dead in shooting at Louisville restaurant

In the early hours of Sunday, a shooting incident occurred at Southern Restaurant and Lounge in Louisville, Kentucky, leaving two dead and six injured. The restaurant, which was under investigation for functioning beyond its restaurant alcohol license, was the scene of the crime around 3 a.m. Upon arrival, law enforcement found a man fatally shot, with five others suffering gunshot wounds and another injured from a fall.

The man critically injured in the shooting later succumbed to his injuries at UofL Hospital, according to Mayor Craig Greenberg. Three women and another man sustained injuries that were not life-threatening. At the time of the incident, the police estimated that between 200 and 300 people were present in the vicinity.

The Southern Restaurant and Lounge, located at 301 W. Market Street, was under scrutiny by Louisville Metro and Kentucky alcoholic beverage enforcement authorities. The restaurant, which had been attracting large, late-night crowds, was suspected of operating beyond the scope of its restaurant alcohol license. Evidence of this was found in social media posts showing dancing and bottle service, activities typically associated with nightclubs.

The restaurant’s lease had recently been terminated by the property owner, Heather-Lauren Properties LLC, according to public records. Mayor Greenberg has since called on the Metro Council to consider whether bars in Louisville should be permitted to remain open until 4 a.m.

The shooting reportedly started between restaurant patrons and individuals on the sidewalk, according to First Division commander Major Shannon Lauder. However, the cause of the violence remains unclear. As the investigation continues, no suspects have been identified.

The Southern Restaurant and Lounge, owned by Tyheshia Thompson, had announced a relocation party on its Facebook page, dubbed “Southern’s Last Rodeo,” to mark the closure of the current location before a planned move. Thompson, who claims to be a silent investor and was not present during the shooting, declined to comment further.