Two students stabbed at high school in San Jose

Two students were injured in a stabbing incident at James Lick High School in San Jose, California, on Thursday. The school was placed on lockdown following the incident, which occurred outside the P.E. area. While one student suffered non-life-threatening injuries, the other sustained more severe injuries but has since been stabilized. The school remained on lockdown for approximately an hour before students were released early. Concerned parents rushed to the campus to pick up their children.

According to eyewitnesses, the incident unfolded around 11:30 a.m. on the school’s basketball courts, where two separate fights broke out, eventually leading to the stabbings. Mark Walker, a junior at the school, described the chaotic scene, stating that he witnessed a group of students running and screaming. Humberto Ulloa, another student, mentioned that he was inside the weight room when he heard a commotion outside. Ulloa saw his teacher rushing out and calling for assistance as two individuals from their school were being attacked. He further added that one person appeared to have been stabbed in the back while the other suffered an arm injury.

Following the stabbings, James Lick High School implemented a lockdown protocol for the safety of its students. The school remained on lockdown for an hour until administrators decided to release students early. Yolanda Perez, a concerned parent, expressed her worries about the incident and emphasized the need for improved safety measures and communication within the school. In response to the incident, the school district released a statement, assuring parents that they prioritize the safety and well-being of their students. The district also informed families about the available mental health services and counseling for affected students.

The suspect or suspects responsible for the stabbings had fled the campus before law enforcement officers arrived at the scene. The police are currently investigating the incident and working with the school district to prevent similar situations in the future. Lorena Chavez, the board president, addressed the incident during a school board meeting, stating that they are assessing their safety needs and collaborating with law enforcement to ensure the safety of students.